HOW DO VIRUSES SPREAD???

Hi Everyone! We haven’t been using our class blog in a long time so I thought I would post a preview of our next activity! Unless you have been living under a rock recently, you have probably been hearing a LOT about Coronavirus that has become a global health concern. It originated in Wuhan, China but has rapidly spread around the world– how do you think this happens??? In our next activity we will explore how viruses, like Coronavirus, can spread rapidly from person to person.  We will do a simulation in which some of you will be carriers of Panoramavirus and we will see how fast it will spread and who will be infected and who will remain healthy. We will also use deductive reasoning and some critical thinking and creative problem solving to identify who the original carriers were.  Don’t worry if you are infected with Panoramavirus, there is a cure– Ms. Tabata has the vaccine that will save you!

But before we start– can anyone guess how Coronavirus got it’s name?!

14 thoughts on “HOW DO VIRUSES SPREAD???

1. Hey,
    I really liked your blog. I think this simulation is a really great idea. I think that Coronavirus got his name because the virions give off the appearance of a crown when the virus is examined with an electron microscope. Corona is Latin and means crown in English. I think that’s why it is named Coronavirus.

Happy Blogging
    https://5gblog.edublogs.org/

• Thank you for commenting on our blog. You are absolutely correct about the name of Corona virus being related to its crown-like shape! How is Covid19 affecting your hometown and school? We are currently on Spring Break but we find out today if schools will remain closed after our two week spring break is over. Grocery stores in our community are getting very bare. We are being told to social distance to slow the spread of this disease. Luckily, the sun is shining so I have been trying to spend some time reading in my backyard. What about you?

• Hey,
        Our school will be at least closed till Easter. All Restaurants and Shops are closed and we are all told to keep social distance in order to slow down the spread of the disease. We are not allowed to meet friends or go out. I really miss my friends and even school right now. I try to read and draw more. What’s about you? Is your school closed?

• Hi Elizabeth! Our school has suspended all in class instruction indefinitely. We do not know when or if we will return to school this year. We are currently on our two week Spring Break and were supposed to return to school on Monday March 30th. Students will still be learning but at home. Teachers will be sending them things to work on so that they continue to learn and grow but in a different way. We may be doing some online learning using technology like Zoom conferences. Just like you, our country is practicing social distancing and we are supposed to stay at home as much as possible so there is no going out to play with friends or family who do not live in the same home as you. It has been a long and very different Spring Break than we had hoped for but it is important for us to help each other by staying home to prevent the spread of Covid 19. Have your teachers sent you homework to do? What have you been reading?

• Hey,
            We get a lot of homework from our teachers. The most teachers send us the homework via e-mail. It is pretty much and I work up to 7 hours a day. I hope that our school will open after Easter because I really miss my friends. I’d like to go out and do some sports. Unfortunately, it’s snowing outside… I have been reading the hound of the Baskervilles and “das Parfum” from Patrick Süskind. Do you know any good books?

• The COVID-19 virus spreads by droplets (your saliva or spit when you cough or sneeze it out) and we dont know it if originated from Wuhan they just recorded the first case there. you can also order groceries online and make Shure to wear masks.

• true, and COVID-19 stands for corona virus disease 2019. and also sars stands for severe acute respiratory syndrome

2. Hey,

I just wanted to let you know that I think your blog was very informative. I particularly like that you will do a simulation – I think this is a great idea.
    I feel nowadays it is important to look at positive things that are happening in our world. If you want you can visit our blog : )
    https://5gblog.edublogs.org/
    Take care and stay healthy!

• Hi Franzi– thank you for your comments! We will check out your blog soon! My class is still on Spring Break until Monday and then we will be transitioning to learning from our homes as our school is closed indefinitely to prevent the spread of Covid 19. What have you been doing to stay positive? I am spending more time with my family. Last week we cut out colorful hearts to put up in our front windows so that passersby can see them and know that we love them and are hoping that they are staying happy and healthy! I am also looking for ideas to do with my students– I think I will have them do some online Escape Room Challenges and then have them create their own Escape Room Challenges for a project.

3. Hi Ms. Tabata,
    Do you know what we are going to do in the next challenge class? I heard that schools aren’t opening because of Coronavirus.

• Hi Melodie! Thank you so much for hopping over here to our blog! I hope that you have had a happy and healthy Spring Break. I have spent almost all of my Spring Break at home with my family doing things around the house. When the weather was sunny I spent a lot of time reading outside while my kids played in the yard. I am missing you, and all of my students! What a weird time this is! Have you ever heard of an Escape Room Challenge? If not, google it to see what they are! In the coming weeks, I will be posting here on our blog and I will give you all a really fun Escape Room Challenge with a Harry Potter theme! I enjoyed doing it– my brain really had to think hard! I will be in contact soon!

4. Hi Ms. Tabata,
    I am sorry I missed the posts you’ve been uploading since this started.
    My mom and dad didn’t get to check their email and they just saw that you had started using edublogs recently.
    I will start doing the posts you upload starting next week.
    very sorry I missed it, Amy

• Hi Amy! I hope you and your family are well 🙂 No worries about missing the weekly challenges– they are optional so that means, you can do them if you have time or you can choose to skip them. I know you are getting lots of work from your classroom teacher so I understand if you don’t have time for these challenges. They will be up all summer so you are welcome to explore them during the summer break as well. I have emailed your mom your login information for the Renzulli Learning website. Please take care and know that I miss you!